Ford Becomes President
On August 9, 1974 (37 years ago today), Richard Nixon's resignation took effect and Gerald Ford was sworn in as the 38th President of the United States. Ford is the only person thus far to become president upon the resignation of a sitting president and is also the only person to hold the offices of Vice-President and President without ever being elected to either office.

Ford took the oath of office in the East Room of the White House. Following his being sworn in as president, he spoke to the assembled audience in a speech broadcast live to the nation. Ford told his audience:
"I am acutely aware that you have not elected me as your president by your ballots, and so I ask you to confirm me as your president with your prayers...
"I have not sought this enormous responsibility, but I will not shirk it. Those who nominated and confirmed me as Vice President were my friends and are my friends. They were of both parties, elected by all the people and acting under the Constitution in their name. It is only fitting then that I should pledge to them and to you that I will be the President of all the people...
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over. Our Constitution works; our great Republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here, the people rule. But there is a higher Power, by whatever name we honor Him, who ordains not only righteousness but love, not only justice, but mercy. ... let us restore the golden rule to our political process, and let brotherly love purge our hearts of suspicion and hate.'
A portion of the speech is contained on a plaque at the entrance to his presidential museum.
On August 20, Ford nominated former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller to fill the vice presidency he had vacated. It had been rumoured that Ford would select George H. W. Bush to be his Vice-President. Rockefeller underwent extended hearings before Congress. In the hearings it came out that Rockefeller had made large gifts to senior government officials such as Henry Kissinger. Although conservative Republicans were not pleased that Rockefeller was picked, most of them voted for his confirmation, and his nomination passed both the House and Senate. Some, including Barry Goldwater, voted against him.

Shortly before his death, Ford gave a series of interviews to reporter Thomas DeFrank which would later form the basis of DeFrank's book Write It When I'm Gone. The book is based in an extraordinary series of private interviews, conducted over sixteen years on condition that they not be released until after Ford's death. In the book, Ford discusses relationship with Richard Nixon, Ford's experiences on the Warren Commission, his discussions with Bill Clinton during the latter's impeachment process, his opinions about both Bush administrations and the Iraq war.
Ford took the oath of office in the East Room of the White House. Following his being sworn in as president, he spoke to the assembled audience in a speech broadcast live to the nation. Ford told his audience:
"I am acutely aware that you have not elected me as your president by your ballots, and so I ask you to confirm me as your president with your prayers...
"I have not sought this enormous responsibility, but I will not shirk it. Those who nominated and confirmed me as Vice President were my friends and are my friends. They were of both parties, elected by all the people and acting under the Constitution in their name. It is only fitting then that I should pledge to them and to you that I will be the President of all the people...
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over. Our Constitution works; our great Republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here, the people rule. But there is a higher Power, by whatever name we honor Him, who ordains not only righteousness but love, not only justice, but mercy. ... let us restore the golden rule to our political process, and let brotherly love purge our hearts of suspicion and hate.'
A portion of the speech is contained on a plaque at the entrance to his presidential museum.
On August 20, Ford nominated former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller to fill the vice presidency he had vacated. It had been rumoured that Ford would select George H. W. Bush to be his Vice-President. Rockefeller underwent extended hearings before Congress. In the hearings it came out that Rockefeller had made large gifts to senior government officials such as Henry Kissinger. Although conservative Republicans were not pleased that Rockefeller was picked, most of them voted for his confirmation, and his nomination passed both the House and Senate. Some, including Barry Goldwater, voted against him.
Shortly before his death, Ford gave a series of interviews to reporter Thomas DeFrank which would later form the basis of DeFrank's book Write It When I'm Gone. The book is based in an extraordinary series of private interviews, conducted over sixteen years on condition that they not be released until after Ford's death. In the book, Ford discusses relationship with Richard Nixon, Ford's experiences on the Warren Commission, his discussions with Bill Clinton during the latter's impeachment process, his opinions about both Bush administrations and the Iraq war.
