Sounds of the Presidency
I'm grateful to
ernieleaf who put me on to a website called National Jukebox, which collects recordings of the voices of some of the Presidents who predate television. The earliest recording I could find was one of Theodore Roosevelt. I've always been curious about how Theodore Roosevelt sounded and whether he was as animated as made out to be. I wish I could have found a recording of him saying "Bully". But this will have to do:
Big Bill Taft sounds like he had a more down home and fatherly voice. Here is an exerpt from a rather patronizing speech he gives on the "rights and progress of the negro":
I always imagined that Woodrow Wilson sounded like some wimpy little bookworm, but he actually has a calm, soothing and confident sounding voice. See what you think.
Finally, Warren Harding was the first president elected after women were given the vote. Apparently some women thought that Warren looked like a stone cold fox, but did he have sexy dulcet tones? You decide.
Big Bill Taft sounds like he had a more down home and fatherly voice. Here is an exerpt from a rather patronizing speech he gives on the "rights and progress of the negro":
I always imagined that Woodrow Wilson sounded like some wimpy little bookworm, but he actually has a calm, soothing and confident sounding voice. See what you think.
Finally, Warren Harding was the first president elected after women were given the vote. Apparently some women thought that Warren looked like a stone cold fox, but did he have sexy dulcet tones? You decide.
